The sales volume in Austin fell of a cliff for November, with only 914 sales of single family homes. That represents a 43% decline in the number of homes sold. The number of “Not Solds” (expired or withdrawn) took a big jump also, to 62% of all listings that departed the Austin MLS in November. If you remember last month’s market update, I predicted the Not Solds will hit 70% in December 2008. November stats haven’t changed my mind.
Let’s look at the breakdown of Austin single family home sales for November 2008:
• Number of homes sold is down 43% (was down 28% last month) from 1,594 Nov 2007 to 914 Nov 2008.
• Average list prices in Austin were down 5.29% over the same month last year to $250,609. This means sellers/agent are doing a better job of pricing the home correctly out of the gate.
• Average sold prices in Austin were down 6.17% over the same month last year to $238,072 from $253,718 a year ago. So, list prices are down 5% but sold prices are down 6%, which tells me sellers are still chasing the market down.
• Median sold price was down 1.87% to $185,000. Last year in Nov it was $188,527. Median prices had been holding their own each month this year, so the downturn in this particular metric is something new.
• Average List to Sold price ratio is 95.00%, down from 95.89% the same month last year, again demonstrating that sellers are still chasing the market down.
• Avg sold price per square foot is down 7.41% to $109 compared to $118 a year ago in November. This is a huge drop.
• Avg days on market is up 12 days (18.75%) from 64 last year to 76 this November.
• Median days on market is up 11 days (24%) from 45 days last year to 56 this year.
• Number of “Not Sold” (exp or withdrawn) is up 43% over the same month last year, to 63% of all removed listings compared to 46% for the same month last year.
None of this is favorable if what we want is a normal, rising market, but in the context of elswhere in the country, it’s actually pretty good.
The stats outlined above are shown in the chart below.
|Austin Real Estate Sales Market Update – Nov 2008 Sales|
|Homes only (condos, duplexes, etc. not included) compiled from Austin MLS data|
|Oct 2008||Nov 2008||Nov 2007||Yr % Change|
|Avg $ SQFT||$114.53||$109.21||$117.95||-7.41%|
|Not Sold %||58.14%||62.06%||46.19%||34.37%|
So, are these grim numbers cause for alarm? Not at all, and here’s why.
Read more …